HOW I SURVIVED MY FIRST WEEK OF KETO (LOW CARB KETOSIS)

, , No Comments
How I Survived My First Week of Keto (Low Carb Ketosis)  – The first few days of a diet are the most important ones. I, like many others, have a hard time staying motivated and focused on a new diet and tend not to stick to one. Here are my 5 tips on how I survived week 1 of the ketogenic diet for beginners – the longest “diet” I have ever lasted on! Love seeing the results! 

As the week started to come to an end, I thought many times if I wanted to share this kind of post or not. Should my blog be only about recipes? Is this type of post a little too personal? In the end, I thought what the heck, just write that darn post. I’m sure I am not the only person who is wondering how the heck does one survive the first week of keto or any diet.
Dieting isn’t fun; dieting is HARD. It’s blood, sweat, tears hard for me. I can never stick to a diet and every time I start one I always fail and end up “cheating”. Either I wasn’t enjoying the type of food on each particular diet, or the diet was boring, or I didn’t see enough progress to keep chugging along.
If you have read my blog for any amount of time, you should know I like quick meals that pack a big punch of flavor. Over an hour of prepping for the meal is a no-go with me. The longest prep snack I have made since being on keto was a mixed berry whip with approximately 15 minutes of prep time. Not too bad.

So far I have lasted a FULL WEEK, and I am the happiest I have been in a long time. My energy is starting to come back, the food is fantastic, and I am down 6 pounds! And I forgot to mention, I am not starving!! I am satisfied and eat when I want to. I love not having to watch the clock and eat every 3 hours or so.

SO HERE ARE MY TIPS ON HOW TO SURVIVE YOUR FIRST WEEK ON KETO (LOW CARB KETOSIS):

1.) Meal Plan – My first week I was so lost. I did a lot of research before beginning this new journey, but it was still so different and trying to reteach your brain new tricks. Fat is good. Bacon is good for you. It was on a Thursday when I sat my big ole bum down and started to meal plan. I used a plain notebook that is considered my “food journal”; however, I never use it besides to meal plan. I browsed Pinterest like a mad woman and looking for recipes to make. I didn’t want to worry about developing recipes for something I hardly knew anything about! I found way too many that I loved and on the menu they went. I, of course, forgot that there is only two of us in the house and planned way too much.
2.) Store Enough Water In The Refrigerator – Before I started the keto diet, I didn’t drink enough water. In fact, I didn’t drink much for anything, and that’s not okay. Everyone says you must drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. Man, that’s a lot of water! The first day was hard, and I went to the bathroom every 5 minutes. I like to separate my water into to different bottles a 32 ounce and a 24 ounce. When I am drinking one, the other one is in the refrigerator. Do it however you like, but just remember always to have fresh, ice-cold water on hand. It makes it much easier to tolerate.
3.) Stay Busy and Keep Focused – I am a food obsessed person. I would say almost borderline addiction. I think about food every single day. It’s hard not to with running a food blog! To keep my mind busy, I have to keep myself busy. It’s not too hard to keep myself busy because the amount of energy I have again is incredible; I finally feel like a 26-year-old again! Most say not to worry about the scale numbers, but, for me, I have to to succeed. I need to see that it’s working, or I give up and grab a donut.
4.) Weigh Yourself Every Single Day – As stated above in the previous paragraph, it goes against what everyone says, “Do not weight yourself every day. The scale isn’t as important as your measurements. Blah. Blah.” If I do not weight myself every morning after waking up, then I have ZERO motivation. So if you trouble with seeing a number and motivation, please do yourself and weight yourself every single morning. It will keep you chugging along.
5.) Purchase All Necessary Items and Ingredients Before You Start – With my research, the first two important items I ordered were ketone test strips – the exact ones I ordered. The ketone test strips are important when first starting out to see if you are in low carb ketosis. Low carb ketosis is when raised levels of ketones are present in the body. The ketone test strips test to see if they are any ketones in your urine.  Any trace amount of ketones detected from the test strips means you are ketosis.
The other product I ordered as well is Morton lite salt. For a low carb keto diet your body needs extra sodium and with the foods we eat we do not get enough potassium. Without enough sodium or potassium, your legs will cramp. Trust me on this! My first few days my legs were cramping so bad without the lite salt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments, do share your thoughts with me...